Friday 11 November 2011

Occupy... This


Several years ago I made a conscious decision that I was not going to tune into a news channel; apart from Sky Sports News and Charlotte Jackson in particular. It’s a pitty I don't know what time she gets on, a bit of roulette with the TV remote.

Anyway here are the last five occasions I tuned into the news on TV (voluntarily);

1. Bin Laden's death

2. The U.K. riots - the longest I've ever watched the news in my whole life.

3. Footage of Gaddafi's crib on Al Jazeera after the rebels invaded the joint; Liverpool FC mug?

4. Picture of Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s smug face after the U.S.A. had accused Iran of plotting the assassination of Saudi officials.


This leads me to number 5...


Occupying the financial heart of a city of your choice.


Now, I do not fully understand exactly what's going on and what the outcome will eventually be, but I do love the powerful message it’s delivering to the world.
After finding out a few of my friends had attended the protests by St Paul's Cathedral on Saturday 15th October 2011 and that it was inspired by the movements of Occupy Wall Street. I had to know more. I tuned into Sky News, total shocker, people were ready to camp in tents and stay there for as long as it takes for their actions to be taken seriously. I was told by friends that police were letting people into the protest area but not letting people out; that doesn't sound like the police are protecting and serving the people does it? Portaloos were also located nearby for those who needed it, I'm sure you can now see why many people were reluctant to join this demonstration.

America had Kanye West and Russell Simmons at the demonstration. The U.K. had Billy Bragg. Who is this man? Cool name but not cool drawing power to inspire and motivate the masses.

I may go and investigate the protest in person but the idea of a policeman refusing me an exit makes me want to reconsider.


1 comment:

  1. Everything is OK at The Occupy LSX Gathering; A new video that I found interesting and is worth a watch;

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40aXK6NdODM&feature=colike

    ReplyDelete